• Question: whats your best achevement

Asked by nick123 to Ed, Katie, Sam, Steve, Vera on 13 Jun 2011.
    • Photo: Ed Morrison

Ed Morrison answered on 13 Jun 2011:

I’ll give two answers. The soppy one is my son, Benjamin.

The non-soppy one is getting my PhD. It was something I had wanted to do for a long time so I was really proud when I achieved it.

• Photo: Steven Daly

Steven Daly answered on 13 Jun 2011:

Hmm, my best achievement will be when I (hopefully) get my phd, but I do not have that yet! I guess that would leave it being publishing my first scientific paper. It is really nice to see your name in print for the first time, having written something no-one else has done before.

• Photo: Katie Marriott

Katie Marriott answered on 13 Jun 2011:

Giving m first talk at a conference! I find talking in front of an audience really frightening, but standing up in front of 60+ people and talking about your work gave me a real buzz. The fact that you are the expert in the room about your subject is really exciting. It’s great when people ask you questions after the talk as it shows they are interested in what you are doing.

• Photo: Sam Tazzyman

Sam Tazzyman answered on 13 Jun 2011:

I’d say that it was when I got my PhD. Plus it meant that I could ring up the bank and tell them to change my name to “Dr Tazzyman”, rather than “Mr Tazzyman”. That was cool.

• Photo: Vera Weisbecker

Vera Weisbecker answered on 13 Jun 2011:

I’ll have to go with Ed. On a personal level, my daughter was the greatest of achievements – pregnancy and birth are no mean feat! On a professional level, being able to raise the funding to do the research I am doing right now was a huge achievement.