• Question: When you have sexual intercourse, what is the chance out of ten you will become pregnant if all factors of pregnancy and reproduction organs are normal?

Asked by didums to Ed, Katie, Sam, Steve, Vera on 21 Jun 2011.
    • Photo: Ed Morrison

Ed Morrison answered on 20 Jun 2011:

It depends on a lot of factors, but one of the most important is which day of the menstrual cycle sex takes place. Women are in the most fertile period, in other words most likely to become pregnant after sex, for the six days leading up to ovulation. On average, of their most fertile day, women have a probability of 9-13% of becoming pregnant after a single act of unprotected sex. If you have sex more than once, this number will increase.

But remember this is only an average. Any individual couple might have a much higher chance of falling pregnant. So always use contraception if you want to avoid pregnancy.

• Photo: Vera Weisbecker

Vera Weisbecker answered on 20 Jun 2011:

Wow, 9-13%! I would have thought it is more than that. But I guess 10 times unprotected sex at the most fertile time amounts to 100% probability of pregnancy, so the risk is actually quite high.

• Photo: Steven Daly

Steven Daly answered on 20 Jun 2011:

That is interesting, I didn’t know it would be so low. Any idea why that is the case? Seems a bit well wasteful of sperm!

• Photo: Katie Marriott

Katie Marriott answered on 20 Jun 2011:

That is suprising! I would have said there is 100% chance of getting pregnant if you have unprotected sex.

• Photo: Sam Tazzyman

Sam Tazzyman answered on 21 Jun 2011:

This is really interesting, thanks Ed!